Have I mentioned how good it is to have baseball back? Three weeks into the new season and despite all of the tinkering Commissioner Rob Manfred continues to do, I’m really enjoying what I’ve seen so far. Sure, the pitch clock sucks ass and games are finishing far too quickly for my liking, but I’m enjoying the improved offense and more action on the base paths.
There have been some incredible results too through the first three weeks, with a handful of teams completely exceeding expectations. I’ve summarized below, in a single word, my thoughts on each team through, give or take, 20 games…
American League East
- Tampa Bay Rays (17-3) – exceptional.
- Baltimore Orioles (12-7) – resurgence.
- New York Yankees (12-8) – reliable.
- Toronto Blue Jays (12-8) – contenders.
- Boston Red Sox (11-10) – plucky.
American League Central
- Minnesota Twins (11-9) – solid.
- Cleveland Guardians (10-9) – thereabouts.
- Detroit Tigers (7-11) – uninspiring.
- Chicago White Sox (7-13) – pathetic.
- Kansas City Royals (4-16) – embarrassing.
American League West
- Texas Rangers (12-7) – genuine.
- Houston Astros (10-10) – lurking.
- Los Angeles Angels (10-10) – Shohei.
- Seattle Mariners (9-11) – underachieving.
- Oakland Athletics (4-16) – putrid.
National League East
- Atlanta Braves (14-6) – entertaining.
- New York Mets (14-7) – impressive.
- Miami Marlins (10-9) – improving.
- Philadelphia Phillies (9-12) – pretenders.
- Washington Nationals (6-13) – miserable.
National League Central
- Milwaukee Brewers (14-6) – consistent.
- Pittsburgh Pirates (14-7) – WTF?!
- Chicago Cubs (12-7) – offense.
- St Louis Cardinals (8-12) – declining.
- Cincinnati Reds (7-13) – last.
National League West
- Arizona Diamondbacks (12-9) – unexpected.
- Los Angels Dodgers (10-11) – underwhelming.
- San Diego Padres (10-12) – overrated.
- San Francisco Giants (6-13) – fourth.
- Colorado Rockies (6-15) – terrible.
21 thoughts on “30 words to describe 30 teams, 3 weeks in”
I agree with the Phillies so far. We’ll see though. Just early enough that I’m waiting for Harper to come back
Me, reading “pretenders” lmao
Cardinals being defined as “declining” would suggest they were ever at a point to decline from this season.
That Pirates one….????????????????????
As great as the Cubs offense has been, our starting pitching has been really solid so far too.
The A’s (since last year) in a nutshell????????????
Lol @Reds – last.
Kind of cheated a bit with the Pirates, but its certainly accurate.
The White Sox one is spot on
Love the Angels one. But if I may, this is what we expected from the DBacks. They have a group of young guys that are pretty solid with a mix of veterans.
MadBum was honestly responsible for a handful of those losses so he had to go
I don’t think salty is the word. This seems spot on
The Phillies one hurts. I’m hoping they get better once Bryce comes back
LOL @ the Padres ????
And the Pirates for better reasons ????
Pathetic is my favorite
Because it is so true it hurts
That Padres one ???? hahaha
Baseball is just better when the Pirates are good
Pretenders Dan… my ass they will figure it out
Baltimore Orioles (15-7) – resurgence.
I 100000% agree w your White Sox take. Shit is absolutely pathetic
mets word was “impressive”